Alicen's Blog #1
- What do you remember about social studies in your elementary school years?
I remember the map of the U.S. and memorizing the states and their capitals most from my elementary years. It's an interesting question because not much remains from my elementary school memories as they are quite old. I moved schools frequently throughout my life, and I specifically remember that big colorful map of all the states and this sinking feeling I had when I realized just how many there were. I had just moved to the U.S. from Canada, where there are only a handful of provinces to memorize, and I knew none of the states or their capitals. It was a trial for sure, but still a fun memory, I enjoyed the songs!
- What do you think is important for elementary social studies classes to be engaging and meaningful?
I think a great way for social studies to engaging and meaningful is to do our best at making the lessons relatable to the students. Real life examples of the importance of the material, and pulling from things that the students may already be familiar with. Another way is to try and have fun with it, I love using songs to help with memorization, visuals, videos that relate and including as much group work as we can when appropriate.
- How would you define (without Googling ideas) social studies inquiry?
I would define social studies inquiry as the search for relevant information concerning social studies. It could also be research on possible updates to material and information being taught in social studies.

Hi Alicen! I totally understand how you feel about the US map, when I was first learning states and capitals I always thought "how am I supposed to remember all of these!" I love your thoughts on how to make social studies more engaging, bringing in relatable content and finding out what students like and incorporating that makes the lesson more fun and enjoyable for students. Songs are an especially fun way to help students learn and memorize topics, dates, states, etc. Were there any other songs that you remember learning in elementary/middle school? Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteActually one of my favorite songs from elementary was the abc's, in french, it was so hard to remember the sounds, but I can still sing it today! Later in college when I took my first spanish class they also taught me that abc's with a song, and we spent lots of time listening to music in spanish as well. It was a super helpful way to learn a language.
DeleteHi Alicen! I love that you incorporated the video! Unfortunately, when I was in elementary school not a lot of emphasis was placed on learning the 50 states and their capitols, while I know them now, my school did not teach them. I really like the idea of using songs to promote student engagement and learning in the classroom. I have always been one to memorize songs very quickly, so whenever learning was tied to music I learned quickly. Although I do not remember anything from social studies, my eighth-grade science teacher was obsessed with using songs for learning (I probably would not have passed her class without them). What are some other songs or ways you might use music in the classroom to promote student engagement?
ReplyDeleteI plan on using music often if I can, I love the songs that help with literacy, we sang a few in music a couple quarters ago, to identify syllables, and the vowel song and so on. I know in math there are songs as well, someone mentioned one that helped them learn the quadratic equation! Also, I can't say I know all the capitols, but I definitely know all the states and that is thanks to those elementary social studies classes.
DeleteAlicen,
ReplyDeleteI remember having to learn the states and capitols as well! As an adult, I definitely do not remember all of them now. But I actually found that I am more familiar with the names, and when I hear them, I am often times able to recognize what state they belong to. Wakko’s capitol song makes learning them a lot of fun. When I had to memorize all 50 states in 4th grade, our teacher taught us a song that I still remember until this day! There’s something about a catchy song that makes it quite difficult to forget.
Isn't that funny, that even as adults we still remember so many songs from childhood. It really is a powerful tool. I always had fun when singing was involved and I also remember the songs that they would speed up the better we got at it always got a smile on my face. I also agree with you, I don't know all the capitals even to this day, but I am at least familiar with the majority of them thanks to Elementary school.
DeleteAlicen, I do not too many fun memories of my elementary social studies classes. However, I do remember learning the state song. It was always so catchy and really made me more interested. I believe, using music or dance is a fabulous way to engage your students. Not only does it engage your students but it allows them to retain the right information in a fun positive environment. I enjoyed reading your blog and the video brought back fun memories! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete